MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
This position is a Tier II network engineer in the engineering and implementation of a Maryland State Agency Local Area Network (LAN) IT infrastructure as well as with the IT infrastructure with the Agancy’s partners, managers, directors, service owners and other agencies at the state, local and federal levels of government. The main purpose of this position is to plan, implement, and integrate the Agency’s LAN infrastructure. This includes troubleshooting, operations & maintenance (O&M), solution implementation, formal hardware upgrades and firmware evaluations, providing technical support and consulting to partner agencies, performing site surveys, and optimizing LAN infrastructure solutions. This also includes coordinating, providing guidance and support to personnel either at the Agency, other agencies, contractors, LAN team members, Agency managers or directors, networkMaryland™ or with others at Agency to complete these tasks. This position also provides guidance and direction in the areas of hardware, software, networking, wireless, troubleshooting, and evaluation of work. Perform other duties as assigned.
Network Engineer Duties
- Responsible for the implementation of data communications or telecommunications networks.
- Plans and monitors the installation of communications circuits.
- Manage and monitor local area networks and associated equipment (e.g., bridges, routers, switches, and gateways).
- Responsible for the implementation of LAN using switching and router technology.
- Maintaining LAN equipment. Upgrading network hardware and firmware
- Installing new network hardware and turning up services
- Working with vendors and managing technical assistance cases
- JNCIS-ENT Required (JNCIP-ENT Preferred)
- Cisco CCNP Preferred
- Aruba Wireless ACMP, ACDP Preferred
- Five years of experience in LAN and WLAN networking
- Two years of experience configuring and maintaining the platforms below:
- Aruba switches, wireless controllers, and wireless access points
- Juniper SRX series routers and EX series switches
- Cisco routers, switches
- VoIP Platforms
- Physical Demands
- Involves special physical demands such as lifting 90 pounds or less
- climbing ladders
- Driving to subscribers’ locations primarily in your work zone
- Special projects may require work outside of normal business hours