Position Description: The Network Engineer supports the design and implementation of large data communications or telecommunications networks. This individual is also responsible for configuration, installation, testing and maintenance of LANs/WANs using switching, routing and monitoring technologies. In addition, the Network Engineer is responsible for performing the following tasks:
Statewide Network Management Services (SNMS)
- Configuring and monitoring the installation of communications circuits
- Responsible for installation, administration, and testing of network devices, operating system software, hubs, routers, switches, cabling etc.
- Conducting short and long-term plans to meet communications requirements
- Performing hardware/software analyses to provide comparative data of performance characteristics and suitability within the existing systems environment
- Preparing tradeoff studies and evaluations for vendor equipment
- Generating network monitoring/performance report, for LAN/WAN utilization studies
- Perform facility surveys for network communications and make recommendations for the layout and location of network components, equipment, cabling, and wiring.
- Operations and maintenance experience with Cisco routers and switches
- Experience with dealing with service requests; change requests and ticketing systems
- Maintain records of work completed and in-progress; and updates network documentation to record installations, upgrades, configurations.
- Travel throughout the state of Maryland is a must. Amount of travel will vary on a week-to-week basis.
- On call rotation is split among all LAN/WAN technicians.
- Ability to troubleshoot at a basic level for QoS and Multicast traffic.
- Experience with the Aruba wireless access points and controllers: administration, configuration, troubleshooting.
Education: This position requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or a related scientific or technical discipline. If applicable, the candidate must be certified as network engineer for the specific network operating system as defined in by the State. The certification criteria are determined by the network operating system vendor.
General Experience: The proposed candidate must have at least five (5) years of experience in a computer-related field.
Specialized Experience: The proposed candidate must have at least three (3) years of progressive experience in planning, designing, implementation, and analyzing data or telecommunications networks. This individual must have experience with network analysis/management tools and techniques and be familiar with Personal Computers (PCs) in a client/server environment. This individual must also be familiar with IT technology and long distance and local carrier management.
** CERTIFICATION: a current CCNA is required **
Practical / Junior-level Cisco network engineer
- level Cisco networking; routing and configuration, monitoring and troubleshooting
- APC UPS: configuration / battery replacement / diagnostic testing
- Operations and Maintenance; service requests / change requests; ticketing system
- Incident Management
- On-Call rotation participation (weekly)
- Possess a thorough understanding of LAN/WAN architectures and designs, cloud networking and mobile networking
- Travel – state-wide network to support / anticipate driving throughout the state to support the customer
** List of Tools – good for hands-on experience / familiarity **
- SolarWinds Orion
- Cisco IOS